SummerFun! / Virtual Programs -
Coding Fun is a class where we explore what basic coding is (giving directions) and check out some really cool (and free!) coding apps available to young coders. This class is a low-key and low-risk space for kids to try out coding and learn some basic strategies.
What do I need for Coding Fun?
- TWO Device(s) needed (you will need a device for Zoom and a device to code on)
- FOR ZOOM: Kids will need a device to connect with me via Zoom (I will share our course link with you). This can be a laptop that has access to video. This seemed to be the best option so it can just be set up while kids code on another device.
- FOR CODING: (choose one)
- iPad: This might be the easiest option for your coder.
- A touchscreen chromebook: Sometimes it can lag with the programs we use but that’s ok, we will problem solve. We will use some coding programs online that don’t need apps also. The touchscreen is important for Scratch Jr and CodeSpark which use that feature.
- An android tablet that can support online browsing and the apps needed. Some families found success with this!
- Coding Apps - please download these prior to our class (free in Google Play Store for chromebooks/iOS store for ipads)
- Scratch Jr (will only work on chromebook/android with app download OR ipad with app downloaded)
- CodeSpark Academy - this app is FREE and we will access it through the ‘schools’ button - no membership required. I will walk kids through the process of joining our classroom.
- A problem-solving attitude!